Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Sneetches & 23 Daves


May favorite book is the lesser known Dr. Suess "The Sneetches and Other Stories." Perhaps it was the way my fatehr would read it over and over to me but I loved it. The Sneetches is about those with stars upon their bellies and those without. At it's heart, it's a tale of tolerance and acceptance. As a child, I loved the characters especially SylvesterMcMonkey McBean. I can recite it verbatim now and I push it on my son all the time. He, of course, is annoyed by this. This is a collection 4 stories. My second favorite is the poem about Mrs. McCave. She had 23 sons and she named them all Dave. David was my brother's name and my father read this over and over to us. We would beg for more and howled each time he read it. To this day, we reference the name "Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face", thanks to Dr. Suess himself. The other two stories in this book scared the crap out of me. One was about two Zaxes who went different directions and the other was about a pair of empty pants that walked around the woods. Creepy. Stick to the Starbellied Sneetches and Mrs. McCave.

No comments:

Post a Comment