Saturday, May 19, 2012

Max, Mickey and Rosie: A Tribute

This blog has been sitting dormant for over a year now. But if one man can inspire me to revive it, it is Maurice Sendak. Unfortunately, it was his death that inspired me to start writing again. I think he would be proud. As a child I was only midly acquainted with Where The Wild Things Are, probably his most famous piece of work, as I didn't own it but read it often from the library. It was one of the first books I bought for my newborn son and I read it to him night after night and almost every 3am feeding. It was more for me than for him. And, now that he is almost four, we read it at least once a week. But it is not only Max we become enamored with. Mickey from In The Night Kitchen is also a good friend.
And,Rosie from The Sign on Rosie's Door. And, all the rest. Sendak wrote over twenty books (who knew?) and each one is more unique and inspiring than the next. Mickey taught my son how to bake a cake and imagine planes could be sculpted from dough. And, Max taught him that love can exceed all. And, Rosie, well Rosie taught him to be feisty. And, Chicken Soup with Rice? That would be so nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment